Over the past few months, I can honestly say that when we (my family and I) get through this time, we will be able to handle anything!
In the past few days alone, I have begun to reflect back on the awesome times spent with my mom. She is such an amazing mother and I miss her everyday. It is so hard to see her suffer as she is; I just wish that we could make it painless for her.
As I have been spending most of my time devoted to Nathan, I realize how much he actually missed out on in regards to enjoying mom the way Ryan and I were able to as kids. The effects of her illness already started to take part when he was merely 6 years old. That is a long time to go without knowing our mom the way Ryan and I knew her.
In that respect as well, I have begun to actually realize how much of a motherly role I chose to take on when it came to Nathan. I was 14 when he was born and LOVED having a baby around! He was my little buddy. As he has been undergoing this horrible time in his life (not only losing mom, but also the effects of the accident) I realize how much I have wanted him to experience the side of our mother that we always were blessed to. Especially the way she nurtured. No matter how bad, tired or sad she would feel, she always found the strength to take care of us emotionally and physically. Being the only girl in our household, I have been blessed to have such a close relationship with my dad and brothers and most ardently feel honored to carry on my mom's spirit in any way I can. Particularly her strength.
Over the past few days, you have all read how sick Nathan has been. It has been the worst feeling in the world to watch him suffer physically and mentally due to pain, lack of sleep and just emotional exhaustion. I HATE watching anyone I love suffer at all. I just keep on relying on God and then have been reminded of the amazing people that have been placed in my life that truly care about me and love me as well. YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE...and I am grateful for the selfless love and kindness you have shown to me. You have been my personal reminder that people really ARE kind, loving and giving...not just out for numero uno!!!
I hope that with my families circumstances, our situation can be used as an example that even though God allows things to happen for HIS own reasons, we sometimes won't ever be able to see WHY he chose to allow them. We simply hope that our eyes are opened not to the pain of experience; but growing from the pain and acknowledging the strength we have gained while dealing with the situation...and more-so the better people we become in the aftermath. No matter how bad and tough life has been, I thank God everyday for those that have consistently stood by my side. You are my personal blessing and I will forever be thankful.
Thank you all for your continued prayers, kind letters, text messages and personalized "gifts" you have offered everyday to make sure we know we are loved and thought of. You all have been our rocks during this time and have made it possible for us to keep looking optimistically towards the future. After all.....Pessimism is, nor will ever be, part of the SCHUSTER FAMILY vocabulary! :)
Much love,
Sonya
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sonya, you are such a strong and beautiful woman. I am so proud that you are my friend and I have no doubts that your family will get through this difficult time because of your strength and faith. I love you.
ReplyDelete