In praying for the recovery of all the Schusters, I find my mind wandering from time to time over the 25 years that I have spent with this family. One particular memory brought a smile and I wanted to share:
When Sonya and I were eight years old, she received a brand new 2-person tent. We were so anxious to try it out on one of the July trips to “The Island” (the family's lake house in Wisconsin). On our first day there, Mr. Schuster helped up set up the tent for our first solo outside camping experience (Read: Sleeping outside 10 feet from the front door).
In the “middle of the night” (probably about 9:30), Sonya and I heard rustling close to our tent. Even though I’m sure now that it was a chipmunk, we were convinced that it was a bear. We unzipped the semi-circle tent door and made a mad-dash to the house. Phew. We were safe. Knowing the anticipation and excitement around sleeping outside, Mr. Schuster offered to sleep outside with us. Picture this: Packed in like sardines with Mr. Schuster’s feet (He's about 6'2") resting outside the tent. Don’t worry, we zipped the door around his feet :)
Waking up around midnight, Mr. Schuster still sleeping, Sonya and I decided that we were freezing cold and would be MUCH more comfortable in a bed. We promptly crawled out of the tent and zipped the door (again) around Mr. Schuster’s feet, where he slept solo for the rest of the night :)
Mr. Schuster is one of the most kind-hearted, genuine people that I know. My love and thoughts are with him.
-Colette
No comments:
Post a Comment